Get your Students’ Union, campus anti-cuts society and local trade unions to support the national demo for free education. Below we have provided a model motion which you can adapt. If your organisation supports the national demo please let us know by emailing [email protected]
This national student demonstration is supported by a growing number of organisations
- NUS London
- NUS Scotland
- Student Broad Left
- University of the Arts London SU
- University of Strathclyde SU
Supporting the National Demo for free education – no fees, cuts and debt
This Students’ Union Believes:
1. A broad coalition of national student organisations – including the Student Assembly Against Austerity, the National Campaign Against Fees and Cuts and the Young Greens – have come together to organize a national demonstration on Wednesday 19 November under the banner of ‘Free education – no fees, no cuts, no debt.’
2. The Tory-led government have launched massive attacks on students – including the trebling of tuition fees, the scrapping of EMA and education cuts.
3. The Coalition government wants to deepen these attacks with plans to sell off the student loan book and further slash education budgets in the pipeline.
4. There is an alternative to this failing experiment in fees and marketization. Free education is the only way to tackle the student debt crisis and as Germany’s decision to scrap tuition fees this year clearly shows it is entirely affordable – it’s just a question of priorities.
5. NUS National Conference 2014 voted to “oppose and campaign against all methods of charging students for education – including tuition fees and a ‘graduate tax’ which is nothing more than a euphemism for ‘student debt’” and to launch a campaign for free education.
6. With the General Election taking place in May 2015, there are clear opportunities to raise the demands of the student movement and put serious pressure on MPs and Prospective Parliamentary Candidates over the months ahead and the national student demo has a key role to play in this.
This Students’ Union Resolves:
1. To support the national student demonstration taking place on Wednesday 19 November.
2. To organize transport to the demonstration to ensure the maximum participation of students from our college/university.
3. To support NUS’ new campaign for free education – as voted for at NUS National Conference 2014.